2020 Call for Entries
33rd Annual InFocus Competition and Sale
Entries are to be submitted electronically for the jurying process via the web-based competition management system, Smarter Entry. Only photos that are accepted for display through the jurying process will need to be framed and delivered for exhibition.
Entries will be juried from the web-based competition management system “Smarter Entry” to select the accepted works. The jurors viewing the accepted works after the entries have been received by InFocus will make awards. The InFocus Committee or the judges may disqualify accepted entries if they fail to comply with framing rules or vary significantly from the electronic version of the photo.
Photographs will be judged in six categories: Landscape, Nature, In Motion, Close Up/Macro, The Art of Humankind and Man Made. Definitions of these categories and examples of each are available on the InFocus website at http://www.infocus-tcaa.org/categories.html. Each category may have both color and monochrome images. These categories may overlap. It will be your choice to pick the category you wish your image to be entered in. The InFocus Committee reserves the right to change the category of your entry if they deem it necessary. Submissions of original works of photographic art may include but are not limited to classic film and digital photography.
Cash prizes and ribbons will be awarded in each category: $150 for First Place, $75 for Second Place and $50 for Third Place. Additional ribbons will be awarded for Honorable Mention and Judge’s Choice. The Best of Show will receive $250 and a ribbon. The Charles Moore Excellence in Photography Award* winner will receive $250, a ribbon and a trophy. Recipients of Sponsor Awards will receive $25 and a ribbon. Two People’s Choice awards will be presented at the end of the show to the photographs receiving (1) the most votes by the student visitors and (2) all other visitors. Each award may be eligible for a merchandise prize.
Conditions of Entry
· The work must be completed within the last two years.
· Entries are open to amateur and professional photographers ages 16 years and older.
· All entries must be images entered online via “Smarter Entry” through the following link: https://client.smarterentry.com/tcaa. Assistance with logging in to Smarter Entry and preparing images for submission are available on the InFocus website http://www.InFocus-tcaa.org.
· Images entered online into the “Smarter Entry” system may not have the author’s name or the name of the photograph displayed on the image.
· Each entrant may submit up to 6 photos. See the fee schedule below. Entry fees are not refundable.
· InFocus may use all digital images submitted to this competition for media purposes only.
· InFocus will request a high-resolution electronic image of the winning photographs for media purposes.
· Acceptance notification will be posted on the InFocus website http://www.InFocus-tcaa.organd notices will be sent by email no later than Tuesday, February 18, 2020. Note that accepted entries will be listed by name as entered into Smarter Entry. Use unique titles and note the names of your titles for reference when viewing the acceptance notification.
· For questions, email us at email@example.com. Or refer to the InFocus website athttp://www.InFocus-tcaa.orgfor more detailed information.
$40 for the first two images and $10 for each additional image entry. Entry includes a membership with Tuolumne County Arts Alliance (TCA) and all its benefits * (see www.mytuolumnecountyarts.org for details)
All works must be for sale. A 25% gallery commission applies to all sales with commission going to InFocus to improve future shows. On Saturday, March 21st, all works will be discounted by 25% and no commission will be charged. Benefit goes to the purchaser.
Calendar of Events
Dec 5, 2019, Thursday Online entry begins at 6:00 a.m.
January 27, 2020, Monday Last day to submit images. Entry closes at 6:00 p.m.
February 18, 2020, Tuesday Accepted notifications sent via email and posted on the website
March 6-7, Friday & Saturday Accepted art hand delivered to Angelo’s Hall in Columbia:
Friday from 12:00 p.m. through 5:00 p.m.
Saturday from 9:00 a.m. through 12:00 p.m.
March 8, 2020, Sunday Exhibition is open to the public at 5:00 p.m.
March 8, 2020, Sunday Reception & presentation of awards to Artists from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.
March 9- 21, 2020 Show is open to the public from 12:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
March 21, 2020 Sale Day. All works will be discounted 25%
March 22, 2020 Sunday Show is open to the public from 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
March 22, 2020 Sunday Artists pick up their entries between 3:00 p.m. & 5:30 p.m.
· Accepted art must be the same as submitted online.
· Show administrators reserve the right to reject a photograph when delivered to the show site if the photograph does not appear to be the same as the digital photograph submitted online or the matting and framing is unacceptable.
· Show administrators reserve the right to change the category in which a photograph is entered if the photograph is, in their judgment, entered into the wrong category. The artist will be contacted to confirm. If contact can not be made the image will stay in it’s submitted category.
· Every precaution will be taken to protect the artwork. However, InFocus and Tuolumne County Arts (TCA) will not be responsible for loss or damage to art entered in the show.
· Accepted works must be submitted in framed or finished condition. Plastic or “fast” frames are not acceptable. Canvas wraps, metal or glass prints are not required to be placed in frames.
· Photos must have picture-hanging wire firmly attached across the back. Wires must be taut and placed between 1/3 and 1/4 the height of the frame from the top of the frame. Sharp wire ends must be taped. Canvas, metal and glass prints need wires or acceptable hanging systems (see photos below). Saw tooth, styrofoam or alligator hanging systems are not acceptable.
· The maximum width of an image is 34 inchesmeasured on the outside edge of the frame. The maximum overall framed size is 60 inches, which is determined by adding the outside-framed height, plus the outside framed width together. For example, a 16"x20" frame might measure 19"x23" when measured from outside edge to outside edge. Add 19"+23" to determine the overall framed size which, in this example, is 42".
· Photos may not weigh more than 12 lbs.
· Works that have been selected for the show must be hand delivered to Angelos Hall during the check in period. If you are unable to deliver or pick up on the designated dates please make arrangements prior to deadlines.
· InFocus and TCA are unable to accept works that are shipped.
· Accepted works must remain in the exhibit through the show closing date.
· Artists are encouraged to furnish an Artist’s Statement or Biography for our Artist’s Statement Binder.
· Works that have been selected for the show must be picked up on Sunday, March 22, 2019 at Angelos Hall between 3:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. or by arrangement. Bring your receipt to claim your photos. Photos that are not picked up during these hours will be taken to the Tuolumne County Arts offices and may be picked up there by arrangement. A storage fee will be charged for photos that are not picked up within 14 days. TCA does not accept responsibility for any damages that might occur in transporting.
*The Charles Moore Excellence in Photography Award honors TCA supporter and nationally renowned photographer, Charles Moore, for an image that is most inspirational in the spirit of Charles’ work – his 1960s Civil Rights work, and Mother Lode photography. This image may be selected from entries in any category. Sponsored by H. Randolph and Betty Holder.C
FRAMES AND CANVAS WRAPS