2019 Call for Entries
Thirty First Annual InFocus Competition and Exhibition
2018 CALL FOR ENTRIES
Sunday, March 10, 2019- Sunday, March 24, 2019
Angelos Hall, Columbia, CA
Entries are to be submitted electronically for the jurying process via the web-based competition management
system, Smarter Entry. Only photos that are accepted for display through the jurying process will need to be
framed (see framing instructions) and delivered for exhibition.
Entries will be juried from the web-based competition management system “Smarter Entry” to select the
accepted works. The jurors viewing the accepted works after the entries have been received by InFocus will
make awards. The InFocus Committee or the judges may disqualify accepted entries if they fail to comply
with framing rules or vary significantly from the electronic version of the photo.
Photographs will be judged in six categories: Landscape, Color of Your Choice, Nature, Details and
Macro, Still life/Found Objects, Human Experiences. Definitions of these categories and examples of
each are available on the InFocus website at http://www.infocus-tcaa.org/categories.html. Each category may
have both color and monochrome images. Submissions of original works of photographic art may include but
are not limited to classic film and digital photography.
Cash prizes and ribbons will be awarded in each category: $150 for First Place, $75 for Second Place and
$50 for Third Place. Additional ribbons will be awarded for Honorable Mention and Judge’s Choice. The
Best of Show will receive $250 and a ribbon. The Charles Moore Excellence in Photography Award* winner
will receive $250, a ribbon and a trophy. Recipients of other Sponsor Awards will receive $25 and a ribbon.
A People’s Choice award will be presented at the end of the show to the photograph receiving the most votes
by gallery viewers. Each award may also be eligible for a merchandise prize.
Conditions of Entry
• The work must be completed within the last two years.
• Entries are open to amateur and professional photographers ages 16 years and older.
• All entries must be images entered online via “Smarter Entry” through the following link:
https://client.smarterentry.com/tcaa. Assistance with logging in to Smarter Entry and preparing
images for submission are available on the InFocus website http://www.InFocus-tcaa.org.
• Images entered online into the “Smarter Entry” system may not have the author’s name or the name
of the photograph displayed on the image.
• Each entrant may submit up to 6 photos. See the fee schedule below. Entry fees are not refundable.
• InFocus may use all digital images submitted to this competition for media purposes only.
• InFocus will request a high-resolution electronic image of the winning photographs for media
• Acceptance notification will be posted on the InFocus website http://www.InFocus-tcaa.org and
notices will be sent by email no later than Tuesday, February 19, 2019. Note that accepted entries
will be listed by name as entered into Smarter Entry. Use unique titles and note the names of your
titles for reference when viewing the acceptance notification.
• For questions, email us at email@example.com. Or refer to the InFocus website at
http://www.InFocus-tcaa.org for more detailed information.
$35 for the first two images and $10 per image for each additional entry.
Calendar of Events
Dec 6, 2018, Thursday Online entry begins at 6:00 a.m.
January 28, 2019, Monday Last day to submit images. Entry closes at 6:00 p.m.
February 19, Tuesday Accepted notifications sent via email and posted on the website
March 8-9, Friday and Saturday Accepted art hand delivered to Angelos Hall in Columbia:
Friday from 12:00 p.m. through 5:00 p.m.
Saturday from 9:00 a.m. through 12:00 p.m.
March 10, Sunday Exhibition is open to the public at 5:00 p.m.
March 10, Sunday Reception & presentation of awards to Artists from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.
March 11- 23, Show is open to the public from 12:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
March 24, Sunday Show is open to the public from 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
March 24, Sunday Artists pick up their entries between 3:00 p.m & 5:30 p.m. at
• Accepted art must be the same as submitted online.
• Show administrators reserve the right to reject a photograph when delivered to the show site if the
photograph does not appear to be the same as the digital photograph submitted online or the matting
and framing is unacceptable.
• Show administrators reserve the right to change the category in which a photograph is entered if the
photograph is, in their judgment, entered into the wrong category.
• Every precaution will be taken to protect the artwork. However, InFocus and the Tuolumne County
Arts Alliance (TCAA) will not be responsible for loss or damage to art entered in the show.
• All works must be for sale. A 35% gallery commission applies. Members of TCAA will not be
charged a commission. To become a member of TCAA, visit their membership page at
https://www.mytuolumnecountyarts.org/support. Artists must be a member of TCAA before the
competition begins to take advantage of the waiver of the gallery commission.
• Accepted works must be submitted in framed or finished condition. Canvas wraps and metal prints
are accepted and are not required to be placed in frames. Canvas and metal prints wires needed or
permission from InFocus committee. Styrofoam or alligator hanging systems on metal prints are
not acceptable. Plastic or “fast” frames are not acceptable.
• Works that have been selected for the show must be hand delivered to Angelos Hall during the check
in period. InFocus and TCAA are unable to accept works that are shipped.
• The maximum width of an image is 36 inches measured on the outside edge of the frame. The
maximum overall framed size is 60 inches, which is determined by adding the outside-framed height,
plus the outside framed width together. For example, a 16"x20" frame might measure 19"x23" when measured from outside edge to outside edge. Add 19"+23" to determine the overall framed size which, in this example, is 42".
• Photos may not weigh more than 12 lbs.
• Photos must have picture-hanging wire firmly attached across the back. Sharp wire ends must be
taped. Wires must be taut and placed between 1/3 and 1/4 the height of the frame from the top of the frame. No saw tooth hangers will be accepted.
• Accepted works must remain in the exhibit through the show closing date.
• Artists are encouraged to furnish an Artist’s Statement or Biography for our Artist’s Statement Binder.
• Works that have been selected for the show must be picked up on Sunday, March 24, 2019 at
Angelos Hall between 3:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. or by arrangement. Bring your receipt to claim your
photos. Photos that are not picked up during these hours will be taken to the Tuolumne County Arts
Alliance offices and may be picked up there by arrangement. A storage fee will be charged for photos
that are not picked up within 14 days.
*The Charles Moore Excellence in Photography Award honors TCAA supporter and nationally renowned photographer, Charles Moore, for an image that is most inspirational in the spirit of Charles’ work – his 1960s Civil Rights work, and Mother Lode photography. This image may be selected from entries in any category. Sponsored by H. Randolph and Betty Holder.